The history of the humble Coconut tree is a mystery, are they from the Indo-Malaya region? Did they come from Mexico? some people believe so but no one knows for sure. What we are sure of is that they truly are the most important crops of the tropics.
If you have travelled to Thailand, Hawaii or South of India you have felt the aroma of coconut milk in the food streets, coconut milk is a staple part of the Thai cuisine.
Yogis & Vegans are raving about coconut milk and its benefits over animal milk, it is part of their diet so much so that they are now many supplements which use coconut milk as a base rather than cow milk or almond milk.
What is coconut milk?
**don’t confuse coconut milk with coconut water, coconut oil or coconut cream. Coconut milk is made from the insides of mature brown coconut and is fresh not fermented.
The white inside of a mature brown coconut is cut into small pieces this is then blended with water and the resulting mixture is poured into a muslin cloth and squeezed to give coconut milk.
What does coconut milk contain?
Coconut milk is a high calorific food its rich in the following nutrients
- Rich in saturated fats known as Medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) capric acid and caprylic acid this is what people are raving about and consuming while doing KETO.
- Rich in Vitamins C and E that are well known for their antioxidant properties
- Rich in electrolytes such as Potassium, magnesium and phosphorous
- Contains Lauric acid that is known for its antiseptic properties
- Contains significant quantities of Iron
- Contains Zinc a mineral that aids in the renewal of the cells
Is drinking coconut milk good for you?
Vegan Yogi’s sure by coconut milk. As mentioned above coconut milk is rich in many nutrients and has the following benefits
- Help in weight loss - Medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) present in coconut milk help in weight reduction as they are less likely to be stored as fat and go directly into the liver to be converted energy or ketone production.
- Anti-ageing - Coconut milk is rich in antioxidants, vitamins C and E and they help combat the harmful free radicals produced during metabolism and muscle fatigue.
- Protects the heart - Coconut milk is rich in potassium which is important for the maintenance of normal heart rhythm and crucial for healthy muscle functioning.
- Healthy hair and skin - High in fat it acts as a sealant for moisture, when applied to the scalp coconut milk helps to reduce dandruff and scalp itchiness. This is because it contains lauric acid that has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- Promotes gastrointestinal health - Coconut milk contains Zinc which helps renewal of the cells that line the intestinal wall and it is also a great supplement for lactose-intolerant people.
Can I drink coconut milk every day?
Yes, fresh coconut milk can be had every day but in moderate quantities and ideally in the first half of the day. Packaged coconut milk or processed coconut milk might not good for daily consumption as it might contain preservatives and harmful chemicals.
When should I drink coconut milk?
In moderate quantities ideally in the first half of the day.
**We have written this article because we care about your health especially your LONG TERM HEALTH hence we bring you the best sources of natural wellness from our beautiful planet. Though we have experience in wellness, natural wellness and nutrition we are not doctors or certified nutritionist nor are we claiming to be. If you need certified professional advice please consult a certified Doctor.